Taking time to learn where certain items are located in your home can be helpful in an emergency. Ideally, these items should be located at the time you move in to a new residence. But, if that time has passed, it's never too late to learn! Do you know where to find all of these items?
- Main circuit breaker in the event power goes out
- Gas shut off valve: turn off during emergencies/disasters for safety
- GFI plug(s): check these if your plugs or appliances in the bathroom, kitchen, patio or garage fail to work
- Electric and/or gas meters to check your utility bills
- The main water shutoff valve in case of major ﬂooding
- Water shutoff valves below the sinks and behind toilets in case of water leaks
- Dishwasher switch: your dishwasher may have a power on/off switch. In the event your dishwasher does not power on, check if the power switch is in the ʻonʼ position. This switch is typically located on the kitchen wall near the garbage disposal switch.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency, call 911.